Monday, October 5, 2009

The waiting game

So. I went for my 20 week ultrasound this morning. Of course, I was SURE that I was going to find out if my wee one was a boy or girl. And, of course, I went to a lab in my area where the technicians are not allowed to tell you the results.

 

Which means, I have to wait until my next midwife appointment to find out the sex.

 

That's not happening for 3 more weeks.

 

*Insert frustrated, exasperated noise here*.

 

"Oh well, three more weeks isn't too bad. One thing that parenting teaches all of us is patience!" a good friend of mine said to me.

 

Which? Yes… she definitely has a very valid point. But at the same time, I REALLY want to know. Like… now. (I have trouble with delaying gratification, as you can probably plainly see).

 

I've realized… this pregnancy thing. It's interesting. It's a very long process of waiting. And hoping everything's okay. And more waiting. And poking your belly every now and again to see if you can get your baby to move. And then waiting for your next appointment so you can hear the heartbeat.

 

If you're feeling good (like I am right now) and aren't too huge (like me right now), there's not a lot going on to remind you that you're pregnant. So you grasp onto anything and everything to help bond with your baby until that end moment.

 

That end moment.

 

I have a really great feeling that in the end, all this waiting is so worth it.

 

Oh man, how it'll be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I was all excited to hear if it was a boy or a girl. Oh well, three weeks will probably zip by. Glad you're feeling great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important thing is that the baby is growing and thriving and that you're feeling so good. What fruit is associated with the baby now? Can you believe you're halfway through already?

    ReplyDelete