Thursday, November 29, 2007

An Open Letter to the Rude People I've Crossed Paths With While Minding My Own Business

I felt it was time for another open letter. So here it is...

Dear Rude People I've Crossed Paths With While Minding My Own Business:

I'm not quite sure how or why, but it seems that I have somehow offended your delicate sensibilities and as a result, you've felt it's necessary to be crochety, rude and miserable.

Like you - person who was shoving me from behind in order to get onto the subway faster - I'm sorry if I wasn't moving quickly enough for you. Maybe you didn't see the hoards of people who were actually trying to get off the subway (which is why I was quietly waiting to one side of the subway doors. I know... how incredibly annoying of me).

Or, to Mrs. I'm-going-to-butt-in-line-and-then-push-this-girl-around-while-she's-trying-to-pay-for-subway-tokens. I wonder if you've ever read an article by Ms. Manners? I'm sure Ms. Manners would say that all nice people should wait their turn in line, rather than pushing and shoving innocent people who have waited a long time for their turn and just want to pay and move on with their day.

Finally, to you - the visibly agitated man who was upset with me for having the audacity to walk in front of his path on a busy street: please accept my apology. It was very wrong of me to get in your way and ruin your entire day. I see it made you very, very angry. How awful of me.

I know that this letter may be in vain, because you probably think your rudeness is justified, however; I just want you to know that it's really not that difficult to be pleasant. Try smiling a little each day. And relaxing. And try not to sweat the small stuff. It may surprise you.

And it will certainly make me (and everyone else around you, I'm sure) a whole lot happier.

Best of luck,

H.

No comments:

Post a Comment