Tuesday, October 16, 2007

On writing

I've been thinking lately. Deep thoughts. Like "Where am I going in life?" "What job will I be doing 10 years from now?" "Does work make me happy?" Heavy stuff like that.

Anyway, I've realized that my personal life is pretty much perfect. And my work life is great, too. For now. But where will I be in 5 years? 10 years? What's next?

I've come to the conclusion that it all comes down to one thing. Writing.

I love to write. Creative writing is what fuels my soul and makes me feel at peace. I've realized that I have to write. I have to be a writer if I want to survive in life. It's the only thing that I can picture myself doing for the rest of my days.

Thankfully, I'm currently employed as a writer. But in advertising, once you hit a certain level, unless you want to be a Creative Director (which I most certainly do not want to do), you're pretty much done.

Maybe there's some place where all "seasoned" copywriters go to that I don't know about yet. But I have to admit, it worries me a bit. Because if I can't continue to write (and make money so I can live) then I'm pretty much useless.

This is what my brain does when I have too much time to think. I'm worrying about my future when I could be doing what I love.

Excuse me, I'm off to do some more writing.

1 comment: