Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fa la la la F@#$!

To all you holiday-lovers (do I have to be politically correct in my own blog, or can I say Christmas??) Anyway, to all my fellow peeps who absolutely LOVE Christmas time, I have some words of warning for you: beware of overdosing.

Here it is, October 2nd (over 2 months to go until Christmas), and I'm getting a little annoyed by all things holly jolly already.

I've been writing holiday-focused stuff at work for the past month and a half (which means I've been listening to carols and living and breathing every merry little cliché that comes with the season). I've been sending emails back and forth about holiday plans with family. I've already got holiday get-togethers set up. By the time Christmas actually rolls around, I'll be completely holiday-ed out.

So, I think it's important to take a moment and remember what the season is really about - and what I truly love about the holidays. (Yes, even though it's October).

For example: instead of thinking about the million and one holiday gatherings I'm expected to go to, I'll think about the Christmas baking my Mom and I do every year on Christmas Eve. (And about the new tradition with my mother-in-law, too). Man, the three of us make some DAMN fine cookies together.

Instead of thinking about how many presents I have to buy and the stress of worrying if people will like them or not, I'll think about being around people I really love. And delicious, delicious Christmas dinner. And playing board games and cards with my family while we wait for the turkey to cook. And going to the movies on Boxing Day every year with my husband.

I love these traditions. And the best part is, they have nothing to do with presents and everything to do with memories.

Okay, I'm ready now. Bring on Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. very scrooge mcduck of you heather!
    haha! kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our traditions! And you're right - although present giving and getting is part of the fun, it's the being together part that I love the best!

    ReplyDelete