Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Trying to lay off the "woe is me" thing

My Facebook status for today:

"Hez thinks the only way my morning could possibly get worse is if someone were to shove my face into a pile of mud and then dance a jig on my back while laughing and pointing at me."

Yes, that just about sums up my lovely morning thus far.

As I type this, I'm sitting here with soaking wet jeans, drenched socks and shoes, a headache, cold fingers and I'm exhausted. (Walked to the train station today in a torrential downpour. Now I'm sitting in my office freezing.)

However - that's all the complaining I'm going to do. Because yesterday, I had a chance to chat with a coworker who I don't know all that well. And I learned a few interesting things that really made me think.

Among the things I learned about her was the fact that she's a single Mom, her own Mother recently passed away... and, each day, she has a 2 hour commute to and from work. So, when she leaves work around 5:30, she doesn't get home and get her son from the babysitter's until 7:30. Then she's got to make dinner and feed him, do homework with him, then get him to bed - THEN do a little of her own work at home sometimes. Then start all over again the next day.

So, in light of that, my soggy jeans aren't really that big of a deal. I lead a good life... sometimes I just need a reality check.

No comments:

Post a Comment