Wednesday, September 17, 2008

WWMD?

Hubby was teasing me last night. I was going on about how great M., our intern-turned-junior writer, has been doing at our agency - and I made the mistake of confessing that I think I've had a somewhat significant role in her success. Then, when I asked hubster what his thoughts were on a project I'm working on right now, he said "Hon, just ask yourself: What Would M. Do?"

All kidding aside, M. has been doing great because she's very talented. No doubt about that. On the other hand, I think back to the kind of guidance I had as an intern/junior, and I don't think I had the same kind of creative attention that M. is getting now. I mean - I didn't have anyone telling me to work harder, keep pushing the ideas and keep thinking (thus, making the end result stronger). I didn't have the opportunity to get involved in brainstorms on major client work - and have my actual written headlines/copy presented to the client. I didn't have the opportunity to "own" a job (that was bigger than writing a buckslip) so I could feel proud of what I had accomplished.

That's not to say that I didn't have a great experience at my first agency. I did. I absolutely LOVED the people. And I learned from the writers I worked with. Definitely. It just took a lot longer for me to get where M. seems to be already.

I'm proud of M. I'm happy for her. I want to see her grow and develop and have a great career. At the same time, (at the risk of sounding like I'm conceited or bragging), I'm happy with what I've been able to do for her. So, I'm kinda proud of myself, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment