Tuesday, September 22, 2009

On worrying and sweet potatoes

I'm going to see my midwife again tomorrow. (FUN!) I love these appointments. Even despite the fact that it's time to find out just how much weight I've put on since my 2-week romp out east. (I still don't regret all that seafood. At. All.)

Apparently it's around this time, at 18 weeks, that the experts say you can start feeling your baby move. So far, I haven't felt much of anything but gas. So I'm hoping the midwife will pull out the doppler again so I can hear the heartbeat, just to calm my neurotic nerves.

(By the way, baby is now the size of a sweet potato! Adorable much? Yes... you're very cute, sweet potato. But it's time to start moving around for Mommy a little. Help Mama calm her delicate nerves and just give her a little nudge here and there, m'kay?)

I also hope to get the opportunity to show my midwife just how truly neurotic I am when I pull out my long list of questions for her. Questions include:
  • Is my face wash safe?
  • What vitamins are safe to take if I'm getting a cold?
  • Can I take Cold FX? (I think I already know the answer to this one)
  • What's this cord blood banking business all about?
  • What can I do about the INTENSE acid reflux I'm getting?

And so on and so forth. (I won't bore you with all the details).

Anyway. As you can clearly see, I am fully involved in the "worry" stage of pregnancy. Many Moms tell me this never goes away. Hurrah! Years and years of nothing but worrying to look forward to!

Although, I must admit, I'm already experiencing the "wicked awesome" stage of pregnancy. This is the one where people tell me I'm looking fantastic, my face is glowing and my little bump is adorable. The one where people I've known in the past have come out of the woodwork to chat about everything and anything to do with pregnancy (because they're also pregnant or are Moms). It's also the one where people suddenly become incredibly generous. I've already received a few gifts... the last one was from a co-worker who bought me an adorable little Sleep Sheep that she swears by.

I think it's safe to say that the worry is worth all the benefits.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry so much. Baby movement feels an awful lot like gas, especially so early. Those fluttering or bubbly feelings could be baby. Are you going to find out the sex?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn! Yes, we're going to find out the sex. October 5th! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling the baby move for the first time is amazing. Just wait - it'll happen.

    Are you going to get a mold made of your bump? A friend of mine is a midwife and she also does the casts for the baby bump. Some of just the bump and some with the bump and boobs. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete