Friday, July 4, 2008

Easy does it

Heading into work this morning on the subway, I was listening to my iPod when a song by the Dixie Chicks came on. (Before all you judgey males out there feel the need to make any snide comments about my taste in music... I want you to know that I like the last album by the Dixie Chicks. It's good. Give it a chance! Judgey McJudgerson).

Anyway - so these lyrics kind of made me think:

Busses, cars, and airplanes leaving
Burning fumes of gasoline
And everyone is running
And I come to find a refuge in the

Easy silence that you make for me
It's okay when there's nothing more to say to me
And the peaceful quiet you create for me
And the way you keep the world at bay for me
The way you keep the world at bay

It's a beautiful song - very sweet and soft and lyrical. And the words. Ah... the words. They remind me of my hubby and our relationship.

After 11 years together, we are most certainly no longer in the beginning stages when everything is exciting and honeymoon-ish. But we're in a new stage that I think is absolutely fantastic. We're in the stage of easy silence. We can just be. Together.

I find it so comforting that we know and understand and love each other so much that peaceful quiet comes easily. And it's perfectly okay. And when I'm having a horrible day or things are hectic and I need a breather - I can crawl into his arms and he'll keep everything at bay for me.

I'm a lucky, lucky girl to have him. And our easy silence.

1 comment: