Thursday, June 10, 2010

Booby vs. bottle

Well, the one thing that stays the same with babies is that they're always changing.

Anna is no longer having insane crying fits each day (thank goodness), but now she seems to absolutely refuse to take a bottle.

Last night, I bathed her and got her into her jammies. Then we normally go downstairs and I feed her, then back upstairs to read a book and rock to sleep. After jammies, Andrew took her downstairs to feed her and I stayed upstairs.

Anna was having absolutely none of it.

She screamed and cried and cried and screamed. And then soon after Andrew would stop trying to feed her, she would relax again. So we thought that maybe she wasn't hungry and we waited a little while. Except that she normally eats every 3 hours and it had been 4 and a half.

So we tried again. And again. And again. But it just didn't seem to be happening.

And now, I appear to be tied to Anna's side for the next 8 months. I can say goodbye to the movie night I had coming up. I can watch my hopes of going away for a weekend in late July with some girlfriends disappear. I can forget yoga class. And a wedding in August? Forget it.

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. But if this isn't a phase and she completely refuses to eat from the bottle, I think I'm going to feel a bit restricted.

Someone offer me some words of advice or encouragement.

Please?

4 comments:

  1. There are lots of different things you can try from changing the type of bottle, to putting the milk in a sippy cup (both my kids refused a bottle but ended up taking some from a sippy cup (enough for me to get out and miss 1 feed although the babysitter often had to deal with a very cranky kid.

    Breastfeeding may make doing some individual things difficult, and somethings you may have to give up. But the time goes by faster than you think possible and then when you wean you'll miss it. It's a special type of bonding time that I don't think is felt again. Pesonally I still miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cheryl - before you know it, the breastfeeding stage will be over and as much as you don't think you'll miss it, you will. It will get easier, especially with solids right around the corner.

    Try a sippy cup (the Nuby ones might work well for Anna). My boys never took a bottle, only took the cup, which was great because I never had to deal with weaning them off a bottle, which, I understand, can be a challenge.

    You're an amazing Mum - don't forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the amazing Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She also, may have just been having an "I just want my Mom" moment. And you are a great Mom and you will still have your freedom, though never as much as you once had. Your Mom is still there everytime you need her and you're all growed up! haha! Feel better?

    Love Aunt S. {:~>)))

    ReplyDelete