Friday, December 7, 2007

Christmas Tag

This was inspired by Dawn. So fun! Read on...

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? 

Always hot chocolate. With cookies.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree?

They always come wrapped. And with different wrapping paper, of course.

3. Colored or white lights on tree/house?

Both.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Usually the second weekend in December – when we get our tree (real!)

6. What is your holiday dish?

I’ve never cooked a Christmas dinner, so I can’t really say I have a dish. I do always bring cold cuts and buns to the family potluck Christmas party though. Does that count?

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child.

Baking sugar cookies with my Mom on Christmas Eve day and decorating them with my brother and Dad, reading ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas before bed time on Christmas Eve, running down the stairs frantically as soon as my parents said “okay!” on Christmas morning, going to my Aunt and Uncle’s house on Boxing Day for turkey sandwiches and games.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I wrote about the moment I discovered Santa wasn’t real in a mini-story once. This is what I wrote: 

At Christmas one year, I was on the fence about the whole ‘Santa Claus’ thing. Dad asked me to put some boxes away in the storage space. And that’s when I saw it. The wrapping paper that Santa uses. The wrapping paper that proved to my brother and I that Santa really was real. It was different paper – paper that we didn’t see until Christmas morning.

“Dad, what was that extra wrapping paper doing in the storage room?”  I questioned accusingly.

“What paper?” he asked absent-mindedly as he unwrapped the cord from the vacuum cleaner.

 “The paper that all of our gifts from Santa were wrapped in. Why would it be there?”

He turned his back to me and started up the noisy vacuum. “Santa left it for us.”

 I stared at my father as he cleaned up for a few minutes. He was lying. I knew it.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

No way.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

With different decorations from each year hubby and I have been together.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?

Love it. But I’m done with it by January 2nd.

12. Can you ice skate?

Sorta. But not well. And not backwards.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

Hmm… I think it was the keyboard I got when I was a kid. I never knew how to play the piano – but for some reason really wanted a keyboard.

Also, one year hubby surprised me at the King Edward hotel Christmas brunch with the Nutcracker tickets. It was a very romantic Christmas memory.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Family.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Cookies. Hands-down.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

I still love baking cookies with my Mom on Christmas Eve. And I love playing games with the family on Christmas Day after dinner and going to a movie with hubby on Boxing Day.

17. What tops your tree?

A very, bright, almost tacky-looking star.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

Both! I really love it when I get a great gift for someone and I can tell they love it.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

Suzy Snowflake. Or anything by the Muppets.

20. Candy canes.

Not a big fan.

21. Favorite Christmas movie?

Christmas Vacation. So funny. I love Cousin Eddie.

22. What do you leave for Santa?

Used to leave cookies. But we didn’t leave anything last year.

Thanks Dawn! Anyone else interested in sharing their Christmas memories with me?

1 comment: