Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Back from hangin' with Charles. (Darwin)

My brain was FAR too foggy yesterday to do my blog justice... hence, the lack of entry. You know how it is the first day back to work after vacation.

Anywho, I'm feeling much more refreshed today and ready to go! I've got my skim latte in front of me. Feeling good.

So - I get this feeling that some of my dear readers are expecting a full and long account of the Galapagos adventure I just went on. And while I LOVE talking about my incredible vacation, I just don't think a blog entry could do it justice. Actually - I don't even know where to begin. Instead, I think I'll just list a few highlights. And if you want more details, you'll have to meet up with me for coffee or something.

Best things about the Galapagos Islands:
  • Snorkeling. Not only do sea lions come RIGHT UP to you to play around with you in the water, but the fish and other underwater sea creatures are absolutely stunning to see. Best part: watching a marine iguana feed on algae off a rock underwater.
  • Boobies. And lots of them. The blue-footed variey, of course. I'm generally not one to be overly interested in birds, but these birds are awesome! And watching them fish is incredibly cool - they dive bomb into the ocean at a 90 degree angle. Seeing a bird doing that is really neat. Seeing about 500 of them do it all at once is indescribable.
  • Fearless penguins. We went snorkeling in one area where some penguins were hanging out on a rock. So one of them jumps into the water and starts floating around, looking for food. So, of course a bunch of us swim in his direction, thinking "let's just see if we can get a better look". Um... yeah. Then penguin was totally our buddy. He almost bumped into one person's snorkel mask! So close. So incredible. Loved it.
  • The hiking, the biking, the swimming, the people, the wildlife. In a word - everything.

Everything about the Galapagos Islands was pretty amazing. The only thing that has wreaked havoc on me is the South American food. My bod just ain't used to it and was NOT pleased with it. Other than that, it was the trip of a lifetime. I highly suggest you try it.

2 comments:

  1. I like boobies! Hez...let's get together when I'm back from Maui. Would love a thorough de-brief on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing. Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete